Island, San Francisco Bay, California
as “Fort McDowell” during WWII, the facilities on Angel Island
were initially used as an immigration station, and then eventually a
detention center for potential fifth columnists and prisoners of war.
In 1947 its military post was decommissioned, and in 1962 the Army
finally left the island. The remains still exist today, including a
former barracks, missile silo and military hospital.
View the whole album here.